Studying history is one of the best ways to learn about our past and how it can and has shaped our future. When it comes to your kids, the last thing they may want to do is sit and hear all about the people from our past. To help get them engaged in everything from ancient civilization to places from the past, we’ve put together this game list that makes learning history more fun! These are a fantastic way to excite your kids about history and a fun activity to keep them learning through the summer months. Here are the best history games for kids.
Using Games in Your Home Education Journey
Incorporating games into your home education days can be a valuable and enjoyable way to enhance learning and engage your child’s curiosity. Educational games provide hands-on experiences that make complex concepts more tangible and accessible. Whether it’s math, language arts, science, or history, there are a multitude of educational games available that cater to different subjects and age groups. Games promote critical thinking, problem-solving, collaboration, and decision-making skills in a fun and interactive manner. They offer a break from traditional instruction and can reenergize your learning. Additionally, games can foster a love for learning by turning academic subjects into exciting challenges. By incorporating games into your homeschool curriculum, you create a dynamic and engaging learning experience that promotes active participation, deeper understanding, and lasting knowledge retention.
History Games for Kids
We’ve pulled together our favourite history games for kids so check them out below. These are for a wide age range, and don’t be afraid to play as a pair with a younger child against an older one to help them learn the rules and gameplay.
Catan and Catan Junior
Catan and Catan Junior are fun games for all of the family to enjoy. Your little ones may prefer the Junior version but it won’t be long until you are all playing the full version. Catan is a strategy game that will help your kids learn about building their own civilization and teach them about what it was like building early-world civilizations. In Catan Junior you pretend you’re a real pirate in this fun, version introducing the gameplay in a simplified version for your youngest members of the house.
Professor Noggins Games
Professor Noggins is a series of quiz type card games for kids from age 7 up they focus on specific areas, there are geography, science and also some history games. Each game contains cards to play based around topics and themes. Check out these history games – Ancient Civilizations, American Revolution, Wonders of the World, US History, The Civil War and History of Canada.
Trekking the World
We included Trekking the World on our Geography Games for Kids as well as this list of History Games as it’s such a good way to talk about some of the evidence that we have of great civilizations that we have around the world with the monuments and cultures that you can visit in the game. It’s a family favourite of ours and we love to play it.
- Great Gift Idea – Makes a unique and meaningful gift for kids and adults
- Experience New Cultures – Travel the world from your kitchen table during family game night.
- Good For All Ages – Whether you’re looking for fun family games, games for teens, or geography board games for kids, this game delivers. Grandparents, Adults, Teens, Tweens, Girls & Boys will all enjoy exploring the world together
- Giant World Map – Gorgeous art and design featuring destinations across every continent. One of the best gifts for globetrotters.
- We are proud to be a small, independent business, founded by two people’s mutual love of the national parks. We always donate a portion of all proceeds back to nonprofits making a difference around the world.
Trekking Through History
A more recent addition to our game cupboard is Trekking Through History – by the same company as Trekking the World this game takes us on a voyage of discovery through history from 37,000 BCE to more modern events. A really fun game to play together with the kids.
- A History Board Game For The Whole Family – Meet legendary people and join remarkable events as you try to see all you can before the clock runs out during family game night.
- Journey to 108 Remarkable Historic Events – Each oversized card features original art, showcasing a real historical person or event on one side and its story on the other.
- Created By Historians & Experts – This family board game was created alongside a team of experts to help choose the events and write the cards. Even history buffs will have lots of amazing things to discover.
- Perfect History Gift – Makes for a great history gift for men, women, and families with all ages. The top-notch production quality and stunning artwork make for a luxury gift that won’t be forgotten.
- Includes Time-Warp Mini Expansion – Time Warps create layers of tactics and strategy by giving you special, time-bending powers that can be used only once. Playing with this mini-expansion is optional.
Timeline is a fun way to start to build up your kids knowledge of timelines, start with a single event in history with a card on the table and then build up a timeline either side of them. This is a great way to help to connect what is going on around the world at different times it may come as quite a surprise.
- FAMILY TRIVIA GAME: JFK’s assassination, The Salem Witch Trials, the last Crusade… Do you know in which order these events unfolded in history? If not, now’s your chance in Timeline Events. Each card has a different event on it, and on the opposite side of the card is the date in history that it occurred. It’s up to you to figure out when each even takes place.
- FUN EDUCATIONAL GAME: Players start with one randomly drawn card in the middle of the table to form the timeline. On your turn, you place a card before or after it depending on when you think this happened. Leave the card in place if you are correct or discard it and draw a new one if you’re wrong. The first player to get rid of all their cards wins!
- INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY: Players take turns placing a card from their hand in a row on the table. After placing the card, the player reveals the date on it. If the card was placed correctly with the date in chronological order with all other cards on the table, the card stays in place; otherwise the card is removed from play and the player takes another card from the deck.
- FUN FOR ALL AGES: Innovative gameplay makes learning about a specific topic in the past easy, enjoyably competitive, and highly replayable. This game is perfectly compatible with other Timeline titles for intriguing and challenging combinations. Brand new packaging is eco-friendly and perfect for travel.
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This fun family game is made for 2 to 6 players and is suitable for ages 8 and older. Average playtime is approximately 15 minutes.
BrainBox World History
For trivia knowledge and quizzing BrainBox games are fantastic. As this BrainBox World History covers a wide variety of different time periods and locations it’s a quick way to challenge your kids’ history knowledge. Each game takes just 10 minutes so expect some fast-paced learning.
Placing the Past
Another timeline-type game but with a little competition added in Placing the Past is a fun game to test your family’s knowledge of historical events and put them in order. Don’t worry the competition is fierce as you can challenge each other’s knowledge and steal their points.
- History-Themed Trivia Games – Think you know major events well? Find out if you got what it takes to make history by winning this memory-based card game. To play, you need to place trivia cards of historical events in the correct timeline!
- Fun Card Games for Everyone – Liven up family games and party games with your knowledge of history. Earn points (cards) by creating the longest timeline. You may add unused cards from the discarded pile. But be careful, one incorrect answer and your points are history!
- Competitive Games for Teens and Adults – Enjoy head to head games of memory and risk. Want more points? Challenge other players by rearranging their timeline. You steal their points if you are correct. But if you are wrong, they will get the points.
- Designed for Short and Long Games – Even with just 3 players, you can still play our family card game on family game night. Teenagers ages 14 and over can join. Decide how many rounds you will play. We suggest playing rounds equal to the number of players.
- Easy-to-Play Teen and Adult Game – Looking for an interesting family game or an alternative to traditional card games? Look no further! With 240 event cards, you’ll enjoy several rounds of fun games and a great number of timeline combinations.
Go Fish US History
Using the familiar game of Go Fish, Go Fish US History take on your family to form the groups of any of the 13 different categories of US history, from sports personalities to presidents and everything in between.
- Kids love Go Fish. But Go Fish U.S. History is so much more!
- Instead of collecting four 5s, or four Kings, kids get to collect four Presidents, Inventors, Sports Legends, Artists and more! There are 13 categories, 4 subjects each with lots of facts.
- All categories are focused on U.S. History, peolple, places, and speeches! Example: Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? What is our biggest National Park? They might have learnd it in school but they’ll love learning it here!
- Learn your history, challenge your friends and the winner of game 3 will forever be known as, THE BIG TUNA!
History on Rainy Day Homeschooling
Explore the Ancient Maya with our complete Unit Study looking at this amazing civilization from Mesoamerica – Ancient Maya Unit Study.