The new year has arrived, and with it comes a world of possibilities waiting to be explored through creative writing! If your a young writer eager to embark on a literary adventure this January, we have a special treat just for you. Introducing our FREE January Creative Writing Prompts for kids, designed to spark imagination, inspire stories, and nurture their love for writing.
Why January is the Perfect Time to Write
January is a month of fresh starts and new beginnings. As the world outside transforms with snowfall and icy landscapes, it’s the perfect backdrop for unleashing your creativity. Whether you’re cosying up indoors or exploring the winter wonderland outside, these prompts are your child’s passport to exciting worlds, intriguing characters, and unforgettable adventures.
What’s Inside Your Free January Creative Writing Prompts Pack?
Our FREE January Creative Writing Prompts pack includes:
- 31 Unique Writing Prompts: Each day, you’ll have a brand-new writing idea to explore, from stories and poems to diaries and letters.
- Beautiful Journal Pages: Complement your writing journey with our printable journal pages..
- Imagination Unleashed: Let your creativity run wild as you dive into worlds of fantasy, history, mystery, and more.
- Writing Skills Development: Hone your writing skills while having fun, whether you’re an aspiring novelist, poet, journalist, or all of the above!
How to Get Your Free January Creative Writing Prompts
Getting your hands on these exciting prompts is as easy as a snowball fight on a winter’s day. Simply subscribe to our newsletter by filling in your details below. Once you’re subscribed, you’ll receive a link to our FREE Creative Writing Subscriber’s library where you will find the January Prompts and much more for your child to use.
Creative Writing Prompts for January for Kids
Our list of January Creative Writing Prompts offers a wide range of different topics and genres for kids to explore. They will spark creativity and let their imagination flow.
- Write about about your goals and resolutions for the new year.
- Describe a snowy landscape in vivid detail, using all five senses to bring it to life.
- Pen a science fiction short story about being rescued by friendly aliens during a snowstorm.
- Start a journal for the month of January and write a daily entry about your experiences, thoughts, and feelings for today.
- Write a mystery story about solving the case of a missing snowman from the neighbourhood.
- Research and write a non-fiction article about how animals adapt to survive in winter.
- Compose a poem inspired by the beauty and uniqueness of snowflakes.
- Imagine you could interview a famous historical figure who was born in January (e.g., Martin Luther King Jr., Benjamin Franklin). Write the interview questions and their responses.
- Write an adventure story set in the Arctic, featuring a young explorer and a unique discovery.
- Describe your ideal snow day from start to finish, including activities and moments of joy.
- Create a diary entry from Frosty the Snowman’s perspective, describing his adventures and feelings.
- Share a favourite winter recipe in a step-by-step guide, complete with mouth-watering descriptions.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world during January, where would you go, and why? Write a travel brochure about this destination.
- Write a imaginative story about a penguin’s journey from the South Pole to the North Pole.
- Research and write a non-fiction article about a winter sport, explaining its rules and history.
- Compose a series of three winter-themed haikus, each capturing a different aspect of the season.
- Create a story about a friendly monster that only appears during the month of January.
- Write about your favourite winter memory from your childhood.
- Imagine you discover a time capsule buried in the snow. Write a letter to the future explaining the items you found inside.
- Choose a winter animal and write a short piece as if you were a wildlife photographer, describing your encounter with this creature.
- Invent a winter-themed superhero with unique ice-related powers. Write a comic strip featuring this character.
- Describe the unique traditions your family or culture observes during the month of January.
- Write an adventure story where the characters must overcome challenges in a frozen, magical land.
- Create a fictional weather report for a made-up place with unique weather patterns.
- Research and write about a significant historical event that happened in January.
- Describe a dream you had involving a winter wonderland. Make it as fantastical as you like.
- Write a journal entry as if you were a traveller exploring a snowy, remote location.
- Write a biography about a famous poet known for their winter-themed poems.
- Tell a story about a character who gets frozen in time, experiencing moments from different Januarys throughout history.
- Research and write about how different cultures celebrate the month of January.
- Create a time capsule for your future self to open next January. Include a letter and a list of your hopes and predictions.
More Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
- Prepare for next month and Valentine’s Day with our 10 Valentine’s Day Creative Writing Prompts for Kids.
- Get the FREE Printable February Creative Writing Prompts for Kids