Creative writing is a great way to help your kids to improve their writing skills, we’re sharing month-by-month sets of writing prompts for kids of all ages that you can download, print and use with them to inspire their imagination and get them writing. Here are the Creative Writing Prompts for July ideal for kids!
Why do we use writing prompts I hear you ask? Well, these little prompts are a great way for kids of all ages to develop their writing skills. They avoid the problem of I don’t know what to write and help them to explore different genres and types of writing.
In our creative writing packs for each month of the year, we are including a range of different types of writing styles and genres from poetry to dialogue, instructional writing to stories that they can create. You will see from our list that there is 31 prompts for this month. Don’t feel that you have to use all of them.
In fact, we don’t I produced the list to give my kids lots of different options for when we do dive into creative writing so that they can pick and choose. They can then return the prompt cards to the pack and if they wish reuse them.
Want to know more about using creative writing prompts with your kids? Then check out our Guide for Using Creative Writing Prompts in your Homeschool.
FREE Printable Creative Writing Prompts for the Month of July
All of the creative writing prompts for this month are available in a prompt card pack. This pack is a printable available in our creative writing subscriber library which you can join by entering your email and name below.
The pack contains cards with each prompt on that you will need to print and then cut out plus journal paper for you to print for your kids to use to write the prompts on.
Looking for more ideas to do with your kids in July then check out our Nature Study Activities for July with Kids.
31 July Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
These prompts are aimed at those kids living in the Northern Hemisphere where summer has started.
- Write a poem about a summer day at the beach.
- Imagine you found a magical seashell. Write a dialogue between you and the shell.
- Write a report about your favorite summer activity.
- Create a set of instructions on how to build a sandcastle.
- Write a story about a family camping trip.
- Describe your favorite summer treat using sensory details.
- Write a dialogue between two birds chatting on a sunny day.
- Imagine you are a famous explorer. Write a report about your expedition to a tropical rainforest.
- Write a poem about a thunderstorm on a summer night.
- Create a set of instructions on how to make homemade lemonade.
- Write a story about a magical summer garden where plants come to life.
- Describe a day at the water park using descriptive language.
- Write a dialogue between two friends on a summer road trip.
- Imagine you are a reporter for a newspaper. Write an article all about the hottest day of the year.
- Write a poem about fireworks lighting up the night sky on the Fourth of July.
- Create a set of instructions on how to make a DIY summer-themed craft.
- Write a story about a thrilling adventure at a summer carnival.
- Describe your favorite outdoor game or sport in detail.
- Write a dialogue between two characters having a picnic in the park.
- Imagine you are a journalist reporting on a summer music festival. Write an article about the event.
- Write a poem about the beauty of a summer sunset.
- Create a set of instructions on how to make a healthy and refreshing fruit salad.
- Write a story about a secret treasure hunt in your backyard.
- Write a book report about your favorite summer book and explain why it’s a great read to someone else.
- Write a dialogue between two friends building a sand sculpture on the beach.
- Imagine you are a scientist studying marine life. Write a report on your discoveries in the ocean.
- Write a poem about the joy of running through a sprinkler on a hot day.
- Create a set of instructions on how to make homemade ice cream.
- Write a story about a mysterious summer camp where strange things happen.
- Describe your dream vacation destination and what you would do there.
- Write a letter to your future self, describing your goals and aspirations for the summer.
If you are loving the poetry prompts this month then why not check out the August Creative Writing Prompts and our Summer Poem Prompts for Creative Writing with Kids for even more inspiration?
Don’t forget to subscribe to our creative writing subscriber library to get more writing prompts for your kids to do throughout the year.