August is here and summer is in full force. If you are looking to get your kids writing and inspired we have some fantastic writing prompts for the month ahead. Each of these can be found in our FREE printable August Creative Writing Prompts for Kids pack with a card for each and notepaper. So here you go our August Prompts for Poems, Letters, Reports, Stories and more.
Why Add Creative Writing to your Language Arts Curriculum
Creative writing is a powerful tool for kids to become accomplished at, it unlocks the imagination within. It’s much more than putting words on paper as it nurture self expression, help develop critical thinking and empowers kids to explore new worlds.
By regularly engaging in creative writing, children embark on a lifelong journey of self-discovery and intellectual growth, unlocking doors to endless possibilities. So let their pens dance across the pages, for the world awaits their stories.
Using writing prompts gives them a starting point from which to develop their skills. They are great for kids that may have writers block (check out our writing prompts for kids with writer’s block) or that need to work on areas like descriptive writing (we have a prompt printable for that as well).
Using the Monthly Writing Prompts
Although we have included 31 creative writing prompts for August in this free printable that doesn’t mean you have to use all 31.
Pick and choose which ones will work for what you are doing. If you are doing year round home education then you could use them as part of your weekly creative writing routine or if it’s holiday time for your family then how about just a couple throughout the month.
Want to know more about using Creative Writing Prompts with Kids – then read the guide I’ve put together.
Creative Writing Prompts Subscriber Library
All of our free printable creative writing prompts are available exclusively for FREE by subscribing to our creative writing prompts library.
You will receive an email with a link and password to access the library which is updated regularly with new monthly printables, themed, seasonal and more. You’ll also get regular emails from me with activities, ideas and more to do with your kids.
Creative Writing Prompts for August
Here’s the list of the 31 different creative writing prompts for the month of August for you to see what is included in this month’s printable.
- Write a poem about the colours and feelings of a summer sunset.
- Imagine you are a character in a fantasy story who discovers a magical time-travelling device. Write a short story about your adventures.
- Describe your favourite summer memory using vivid sensory details.
- Write a persuasive letter to your parents, convincing them to take a family trip to an exciting destination.
- Create a comic strip featuring your favourite superhero and their summer adventures.
- Write a report about an endangered animal and propose ways to protect its habitat.
- Imagine you are an inventor. Describe and draw a new invention that would make your daily life easier.
- Write a journal entry about a fun outdoor activity you enjoyed during the summer.
- Write a step-by-step guide on how to make a refreshing summer drink.
- Create a dialogue between two characters who meet at a lemonade stand on a hot day.
- Write a poem inspired by the vibrant colours and flavours of summer fruits.
- Imagine you are a detective solving a mysterious case at a summer camp. Write a short story about your investigation.
- Write a newspaper article reporting on a local community event or festival.
- Describe your dream adventure in a hot air balloon, including the sights and sounds you would encounter.
- Write a friendly letter to a friend or family member sharing your summer experiences and asking about theirs.
- Imagine you are a sports commentator. Write a play-by-play commentary of an exciting summer sports event.
- Create a poster or brochure persuading people to recycle and protect the environment.
- Write a diary entry from the perspective of a famous historical figure who lived during the summer.
- Write a funny story about a mischievous animal causing chaos during a family barbecue.
- Imagine you are a travel writer exploring a tropical island. Write a descriptive article about your adventures.
- Imagine yourself as a sunbeam, spreading warmth and light across a summer landscape. Write a poem capturing the joy and energy of the sun’s rays.
- Create a comic strip that tells a humorous story about a group of friends on a camping trip.
- Write a set of instructions on how to build a sandcastle.
- Imagine you are a weather reporter. Write a script for a weather forecast during the summer.
- Write a diary entry from the perspective of a character in a favorite book or movie, set during the summer.
- Create a brochure promoting a fictional amusement park with exciting summer-themed attractions.
- Write a poem that captures the joy and freedom of riding a bike on a sunny day.
- Imagine you are a wildlife photographer. Write captions for a series of photos capturing summer animals in their natural habitats.
- Write a story about a group of friends embarking on a thrilling treasure hunt in the backyard.
- Create a persuasive advertisement for a lemonade stand, highlighting the delicious flavours and refreshing qualities of the drink.
- Write a reflective essay about your personal growth and memorable experiences throughout the summer.
If you want to check out July’s Creative Writing prompts you can find them all here or how about our sea creature themed prompt ideas! Or how about getting creative with some drawing prompts instead – these free printable summer drawing prompts are now available on Rainy Day Mum my other site.