We’re back with another month of fun creative writing prompts for kids, this time for September. As summer turns to fall these prompts are ideal to dip into pick a card and get your kids writing. So here we go our fun creative writing prompts for September for your kids!
Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
Each month here on Rainy Day Homeschooling I’m sharing a set of creative writing prompts that you can use with your kids to inspire and ignite their imagination. These prompts are presented on little cards that your kids can then pick and choose from.
In the printable there are 30 prompts this month ranging from poetry to report writing and some great story starters as well.
Subscribers Library for FREE Printable Creative Writing Prompts
Although all of our creative writing printables are FREE here we do ask that you subscribe to our library, this means that you will be notified when new prompts are added and also get other great ideas straight to your inbox.
All you need to do is fill in your details below and you will be be sent an email with your link and password to access the library where all the printables can be found.
September Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
So that you get an idea of what is on the printable this month here are the list of the prompts!
- Write a fictional story about a secret portal that leads to a magical world hidden in your backyard.
- Imagine you are a detective solving a mystery involving a missing treasure during a fall festival.
- Write a descriptive piece about the sights, sounds, and smells of a local farmer’s market.
- Create a poem celebrating the changing colors of autumn leaves and the feeling of crisp air.
- Write a personal narrative about your favorite childhood memory of playing in a pile of leaves.
- Imagine you are an astronaut traveling to a far-off planet. Write a journal entry about your extraterrestrial adventures.
- Write a letter to your future self, describing your dreams and aspirations for the upcoming season.
- Create a fictional dialogue between two animals one who is preparing to hibernate and the other to migrate.
- Write a travel guide for a mythical land that only exists during the month of September.
- Imagine you are a time traveler visiting a historical event that took place in September. Write a diary entry about your experience.
- Write a short story about a group of friends on an unforgettable camping trip in the wilderness.
- Create a poem inspired by the harvest moon and its significance in different cultures.
- Write a non-fiction article about the origins and traditions of a specific September holiday or festival.
- Imagine you are a scientist conducting experiments with magical potions. Write a lab report documenting your findings.
- Write a descriptive piece about the aroma of freshly baked apple pies during the fall season.
- Create a story about a superhero who gains special powers every September and uses them to save the world.
- Write a letter to a friend about an event that happens in September.
- Write a persuasive article advocating for environmental conservation efforts during the autumn months.
- Imagine you discover an ancient map in your attic that leads to a hidden treasure in the woods. Write a diary entry about your treasure hunt adventure.
- Write a poem that captures the feeling of saying goodbye to summer and welcoming the new season of fall.
- Create a fictional conversation between the sun and the moon discussing their roles during the September equinox.
- Write a personal essay about a life lesson you learned from observing nature during September.
- Imagine you are a chef creating a unique recipe using September’s seasonal fruits and vegetables. Write the recipe and describe the taste sensations it evokes.
- Write a short story about a time-traveling book that takes characters to different historical events during September.
- Create a poem inspired by the sounds of nature during the early mornings of September.
- Write a dialogue between two autumn-themed characters, such as Jack Frost and a talking pumpkin.
- Imagine you are a detective investigating a case of mysterious disappearances in a small town during September.
- Write a fictional story about a young inventor who creates a time machine and accidentally transports themselves to September 100 years in the future.
- Create a poem that celebrates the various activities and traditions of a specific September holiday or event.
- Write a personal narrative about your most memorable September adventure in nature.
This month also sees the Autumn Equinox so why not check out our Printable Autumn Equinox Creative Writing Prompts for Kids and be inspired by the celestial event?
There’s lots of time travel this month as September with the start of the new academic year for many is a great time to reflect and look to the future and the past.